Frequently asked questions

Can you get a passport processed at the Tuxedo Town Hall?

No. The town does not process passport applications. You will need to go to the Tuxedo Post Office.

How do I get a dog license?

Dog licenses are issued at the Town Clerk’s office in the Town Hall. You must have rabies vaccination proof for the dog you are licensing. If the dog has not received rabies vaccination, it cannot be licensed. If the dog has been spayed/neutered you need that documentation as well. Once you receive the tags for the dog’s license, the dog keeps that same tags for the duration of its life and you just pay to renew it every year, either by mail or in person at the Town Clerk’s Office.

I will be out of Town when my tax payment is due. How will I know what amount to pay? How can I pay my taxes if I am out of town?

Need answer

If I want to speak to the Town Board, what is the best way to go about it?

The Town Board welcomes all input from residents and calls for any comments at the end of every Town Board meeting, at which time you would have an opportunity to address the Town Board. The Supervisor can be reached at

Can I pay a traffic ticket at the Town Hall?

Yes, Town of Tuxedo traffic tickets can be paid at the Tuxedo Town Court, which is located at 1 Temple Dr. in Tuxedo NY. For more information, please call (845)-351-5655

At what age do you need a Fishing License?

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation requires individuals age sixteen (16) and older to obtain a fishing license. Individuals under sixteen (16) years of age do not need a fishing license, as long as they are fishing with a licensed individual.

At what age does my dog need to be licensed?

New York State Agriculture and Markets Law requires all dogs age four (4) months and older to be licensed. Proof of rabies vaccination is required.
For dogs spayed/neutered the annual fee is $7.00 (includes state mandated $1.00 surcharge), and for dogs not spayed/neutered the annual fee is $15.00 (includes state mandated $3.00 surcharge).

Can I file a Small Claims suit at the Town Hall?

Yes, Small Claims can be filed at the TuxedoTown Court, which is located at 41 Webster Ave - 2nd floor. For more information, please call (845)-351-5655 or visit Orange County Small Claims Court.

Does the Town of Tuxedo collect and dispose of household appliances?

No. In order to have these items removed you must arrange for pickup with Interstate Waste Services by calling (845)-572-3300.

Does the Town of Tuxedo offer a leaf collection service?

Yes. Please click on the Highway Department tab for more information.

How can I obtain a copy of a Birth Certificate or Death Certificate?

Birth and Death records are available from the Town Clerk of the municipality where the event occurred. The Tuxedo Town Clerk's office is located at 1 Temple Dr. Tuxedo NY - 1st floor and can be reached at (845)-351-4411

How can I obtain a duplicate marriage certificate?

The Town Clerk can issue a certified marriage certificate if you obtained your marriage license in the Town of Tuxedo.

What do I need to get a marriage license?

Both parties need to be present. You need TWO forms of legal identification. This includes birth certificate, valid driver license, or passport. If you have been divorced, you need your stamped “received” divorce papers from EVERY previous marriage.

What is the FOIL (Freedom of Information Law) request process?

A The process to submit a FOIL request is first fill out a FOIL request form that can be found in the Town Clerk’s office. Once you have completed the FOIL request form, submit it to the Town Clerk’s office:

Print and hand deliver to:
Town Clerk’s Office
Tuxedo Town Hall
1 Temple Dr. - 1st floor
Tuxedo NY 10987

The Freedom of Information Law requires that we respond to a request within five (5) business days of receipt of a request. If your request is approved, your request will be sent to the appropriate department for fulfillment. The requested documents will be released to you as soon as possible depending upon the volume of documents requested and time involved locating the material, but it will be within twenty (20) business days from the approval, unless we notify you otherwise. If any portion of the request is denied, you will be informed of the reason in writing and provided with the contact information to whom an appeal should be directed.

Where can I apply for a D/B/A (Doing Business As) License?

D/B/A’s are processed through the Orange County Clerk’s office, located in the Parry Bldg 4 Glenmere Cove Road, Goshen, New York 10924. For further information, please contact (845) 291-2690.

Where can I apply for a Pistol Permit?

The Orange County Sheriff's Office conducts background investigations into Pistol Permit applications for presentation to the Orange County Court Judges, who make issuance determinations. For further information, please contact (845) 291-4033.

Where can I be finger printed?

Contact the Tuxedo Police Dept. at (845)-351-5111 and leave a message for Cheif Abbott in order to arrange an appointment.

Where can I purchase a Hunting or Fishing license?

Conservation licenses can be obtained from the Town Clerk’s office during normal business hours: Monday through Thursday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, except on holidays.

© 2018 Town of Tuxedo NY